Thursday, March 8, 2018

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (audiobook)

genre: young adult science fiction/dystopia

Matteo knows he is different.  One rash decision when he is a little boy and he's told in no uncertain terms that he is less-than.  Sub-human.  Animal.

A clone.

He learns that he and El Patrón, the overlord of a vast land that lies between America and what used to be Mexico, have identical DNA.   As El Patrón's clone, Matt is allowed a shadow-life within his lavish household, accepted as "human" by a precious few people: a caretaker, a bodyguard, a friend.  Growing up in El Patrón's compound, the world outside is clearly a frightening and unforgiving place but the older he gets, the more Matt realizes that his life inside the compound isn't all that safe either.

I LOVED this.  Ate it up.  I listened to the audio and the narrator was incredible with the different voices and accents.  I truly felt steeped in a future Mexican culture and I loved the different turns the story took.  It's creative and startling, powerful and believable.  I saw online that there are sequels but I don't think I need them, I liked how this wrapped up and how despite all Matt has to overcome, that he is always able to find power in hope for himself and those he cares about. 

Great listen.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...